I grew up in my family owned Brownstone (Hey NYC 🖐🏾) so we celebrated all of the holidays together in our historical home. Each room, each nick in the hardwood floors and pot in the kitchen has a story to tell. As a child on Christmas Day, I would go from floor to floor visiting family members and collecting gifts 🎁🏀🎮. Of course I enjoyed the toys, clothes and money but what I held on to and now pass on to my children is the essence of family, togetherness and pure joy.
Christmas 2020 will look differently for my extended family since we’re only gathering virtually but it’s important for us to maintain the tradition of spreading love, cracking jokes, reminiscing on embarrassing childhood moments and sipping on a few spiked beverages 😉. We’ll still do the gift giving part with an emphasis on what matters most to us.
1. Spread Love (it’s the Brooklyn way)! Starting and ending with *self-care. It’s a mindset, process and practice to boost your health, well-being, mood, productivity and energy.
2. Patience “Pills”…ok, these aren’t actually a tangible item but the point is to exercise patience with yourself and others. We’re going through this COVID-19 pandemic which has affected so many aspects of life. Folks digest stress differently so keep that in mind when interacting or responding to people. Also, allow yourself time and space to adjust to the abundance of changes and unknowns.
3. Be adventurous! Try out a new hobby or experience you’ve been thinking about. It could be an online dance class, cooking new recipes, a home DIY project, learning another language or starting your own business.
4. Trim Down ⬇️: For some of us this could be pounds/weight; however this category is focused on reducing items or factors that no longer serve us. Doubt, fear, shame, worry and procrastination are just a few things that keep us from accomplishing our goals and living in our purpose.
5. Document the Present! We are living in a historical time. Keep notes, photos and journal entries of this pandemic. Future generations can learn from you.
Wishing you a Happy Holiday season from the Mommy Scoreboard team to yours 🎄🎁❣ Check out our Holiday Playlist on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5pfJJnIkEtRHB1CSJuXfvZ?si=ziRsHbtiQV2S0UhoDrfrqw
Follow 👉🏾@mommy_scoreboard ⛹🏾♀️ on Instagram #holidayseason #holidaymusic #thischristmas #christmas2020 #mommy_scoreboard
*Refer to my post on Back to Basics: My 5 Fundamental Self-care Tips ❤
Hello and welcome to Mommy Scoreboard. It’s been several years but I remember starting my college application essay with the sentence, “You can always find me with a pen in one hand a basketball in the other.” I enjoy writing but the sport of basketball has been my ultimate joy. Fast forward and now I am the proud parent of three children, a happily married woman and an accomplished recreational basketball player. If I had to update my essay sentence it would read, “You can always find me with a pen, a basketball, a kid or two, a mobile device, a skillet, random toy part, a sippy cup, baby wipes, hand sanitizer and face masks in my hands”…WOW, have times gotten better!