Celebrating Women’s History Month – 30 Reasons Why I’m Amazing
When my friend on Instagram (MyTalesfromtheCrib) posted this writing challenge at the beginning of March I looked at the Day 2 theme of “30 Reasons Why I’m Amazing” and knew I wanted to participate. I didn’t think it would take me nearly a month to get my thoughts from my head to the computer. This post is to pause from everything happening around me and to focus on myself and my accomplishments. As a parent, spouse, full-time employee, I spend all my time working and focusing on others. I invite you to participate in this writing exercise as well. Please check out my 30 reasons below to get to know more about me (Quiana).
- I’ve been playing basketball for over 3 decades. I love this game!
- I was born and raised in the “city that never sleeps” so go Knicks, Liberty, Yankees, Giants, Jets and maybe the Mets.
- A banana saved my Life! One day I was walking to my local park to play basketball with my friends. I stopped in the bodega to grab a banana. As I resumed my walk a car that was driving down the street suddenly jumped the curb and went on the sidewalk. The car proceeded about 30 feet ahead until a few people were able to get the driver to stop. Had I not stopped to get the banana I would have been walking on the sidewalk ahead of the vehicle. WOW!
- All throughout school I heard the same feedback from teachers, “You’re a great student, smart, focused, a pleasure to have but I just wish you would talk more.” My current boss says the same thing, lol.
- I received a full academic scholarship to attend college.
- I was the first person in my family to graduate with an undergraduate degree and a Master’s degree.
- I have traveled to many beautiful countries. I am looking forward to a much-needed vacation in 2021.
- I love music; it’s my energy booster, mood enhancer, and love language. I usually say, if I can’t FEEL the music it’s not worth listening to.
- I had a near drowning experience when I was about 8 years old. Since then, I’ve had a huge fear of beaches and pools. In the past few years, I have taken steps to overcome this fear by getting into the kiddie pool with my children. However, I’m not ready for anything deeper than 3feet.
- I read and understand quite a few things in Spanish.
- I can palm a women’s basketball and spin it on my finger.
- My spouse and I have been together for over 15 years and we’re still relatively young.
- When I found out I was pregnant with twins the first thing I said was, “Wow, I’m too little.” FYI…I am shorter than 5’5 and had no idea how two babies would fit and grow in my belly.
- I am super competitive when it comes to sports and would dunk on my family members to win a game.
- I use to collect basketball player cards in grade school and still have them in storage.I wonder how much they are worth today.
- My favorite basketball player is Teresa Weatherspoon (WNBA New York Liberty) and I had the chance to meet her a few times and take a picture with her.
- I have a huge sneaker collection that is getting harder to hide from my spouse, lol.
- I am allergic to cats and dogs so that’s an easy “No” when the children ask for those as pets. How about some goldfish?
- I started my own blogging website www.mommyscoreboard.com during this pandemic. I needed a new outlet since I was not able to play basketball.
- My core group of friends have been in my life for over 20 years and we adore each other.
- I started creating funny memes about parenting and sports as a new form of self- expression. I’m on Instagram as Mommy_Scoreboard
- My grandmother taught me how to cook, garden and treat others with kindness. R.I.P Nanny and my collard greens are almost as good as yours.
- My mother sparked my interest for working in social services. I have been in my profession for over 2 decades.
- My Dad has instilled the 6 Ps into me…Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
- Through life experiences I’ve learned what it means to protect my energy and set boundaries with people.
- I enjoy trying new foods from various cultures.
- I have been growing my locs for 14 years and cannot imagine my hair in any other style.
- My first name is often mispronounced and I have to spell it when anyone asks for my name.
- I give without expectation of receiving in return.
- Last but not least I love who I am; my past has shaped me, my present is molding me and my future will be what I make it.
Thank you for reading this post. Feel free to subscribe to my page, leave a comment and create your own list.
Parenting marriage motivation Parenting relationships Sports women's history month
mommyscoreboard View All →
Hello and welcome to Mommy Scoreboard. It’s been several years but I remember starting my college application essay with the sentence, “You can always find me with a pen in one hand a basketball in the other.” I enjoy writing but the sport of basketball has been my ultimate joy. Fast forward and now I am the proud parent of three children, a happily married woman and an accomplished recreational basketball player. If I had to update my essay sentence it would read, “You can always find me with a pen, a basketball, a kid or two, a mobile device, a skillet, random toy part, a sippy cup, baby wipes, hand sanitizer and face masks in my hands”…WOW, have times gotten better!
Leave a Reply