To celebrate Women’s History Month (March 2021) I have been highlighting women in sports who have not only made a huge impact in the game but also on my life. This edition showcases 5 of my favorite WNBA players. They are all legendary, award winning, trendsetting, motivational, and making groundbreaking moves on and off the basketball court.
- Lisa Leslie is known as the first woman in the WNBA to slam-dunk during an official game. Leslie has worked as a sports commentator for national media outlets and she’s part of the WNBA Los Angeles Sparks ownership group. Additionally, Lisa’s Tik-tok videos are just as smooth as her post-up game.
- Dawn Staley is presently the head coach of the NCAA South Carolina Gamecocks Women’s Basketball team. Under Coach Staley the team has advanced to the Elite Eight of the 2021 tournament. Standing at 5’5, Dawn Staley is a giant when it comes to elevating the game of student athletes, empowering youth in her community and speaking up/out against disparities in the treatment of women in sports.
- Tina Thompson is the first draft pick in WNBA history. She is a clutch scorer that exudes style and grace both on and off the basketball court. Thompson is currently the head coach of the NCAA University of Virginia Cavaliers. Thompson’s signature red lipstick inspired me to come up with my own signature basketball look…festive socks (sock post coming soon).
- Becky Hammon is the undrafted sensational player that gave the New York Liberty an extra spark. Her grit and tenacity made her a fan favorite at MSG (Madison Square Garden). It’s not surprising that Hammon has gone on to become the first female full-time assistant coach in NBA history with the San Antonio Spurs.
- Diana Taurasi is legitimately one of the best and most competitive basketball players ever. Her ability to persevere, bounce back from injuries and continuously improve her game is amazing to watch. Taurasi has and continues to speak out against the inadequate salaries of WNBA players.
Although Women’s History Month is coming to a close I plan to continue highlighting various athletes that I grew up watching and emulating as well as those making strides in their respective leagues and in society. One aspect that I plan to cover is athletes who are also parents such as few of the superstars listed above.
If you haven’t done so yet, please subscribe to my blog and follow on Instagram (QR code below). Thank you ***Quiana***
Hello and welcome to Mommy Scoreboard. It’s been several years but I remember starting my college application essay with the sentence, “You can always find me with a pen in one hand a basketball in the other.” I enjoy writing but the sport of basketball has been my ultimate joy. Fast forward and now I am the proud parent of three children, a happily married woman and an accomplished recreational basketball player. If I had to update my essay sentence it would read, “You can always find me with a pen, a basketball, a kid or two, a mobile device, a skillet, random toy part, a sippy cup, baby wipes, hand sanitizer and face masks in my hands”…WOW, have times gotten better!